- 2 tablespoons kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon shrimp paste (trassi) dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water (or 1 tablespoon fish sauce)
- 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 12 large uncooked shrimp (prawns) – peeled and deveined
- 1 carrot—finely diced
- 1 onion—finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic—finely chopped
- 3 cups cold cooked long-grain rice
- 1½ cups bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
- Mix together the kecap manis, soy sauce, chili flakes and dissolved shrimp paste in a small bowl.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over a high temperature then add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the wok and set aside on a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, add the carrot and onion and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the rice, bean sprouts and sauce mixture and stir-fry for 3 minutes, tossing to separate the grains and combine well. Add the cooked shrimp, lime juice and cilantro and toss to mix and heat through.