- Upper body push
- Horizontal – pushup or chest press
- Vertical – handstand pushup, shoulder press, or dips
- Upper body pull
- Horizontal – rowing
- Vertical – pull-ups and high pulls
- Lower body push
- Knee dominate – squats, lunges, and step ups
- Lower body pull
- Hip dominate – deadlift and swings
- Knee dominate – suspension trainer or Valslide leg curl
- Stabilization – cable chop
- Dynamic – TRX rip trainer slap shot
These are movement patterns that we use in everyday life. Either one movement at a time or combining several movements to achieve a task.
No longer think in terms of muscle groups, instead begin making exercise selections based on movement patterns.
If you’re going to do the bench press make sure you do a rowing exercise. This approach to lifting will keep you from being injured in the future. How? You’ll maintain muscular balance around your joints. Doing so will stop muscle imbalances, which lead to injury.